Thursday, March 12, 2009

Review: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

What a fascinating book!

Outliers will challenge your idea on success and how someone becom
es successful. Whether it is the success of a professional athlete or a Silicon Valley billionaire, there are reasons behind the success. According to Gladwell, it doesn't occur only due to natural abilities.

Malcolm Gladwell, a journalist, writes and interesting AND entertaining book. I found myself questioning my own thoughts on how I looked at how what is considered success after Gladwell introduces ideas of Opportunity and Legacy. Success has more to do with how many hours you work towards your goal, when you were born, where you were born, your ancestry and chance (or devine intervention--depending on your view).

While Gladwell does not dismiss natural abilities, he argues that talent needs to nurtured. He even provides examples of what happens when natural talent is ignored. Everyday situations that the average reader can relate to is used to tell the story. There are many recognizable names and the background stories behind the names are intriguing. Ultimately, these successful people became successful more on the basis that they were at the right place at the right time rather that it "just happened." This book led me to believe my own ideas of the world--not society's idea of success.

I really enjoyed this book. I heard of his other books, The Tipping Point and Blink. I have yet to read them, but they are on my wishlist.

Title: Outliers
Author: Malcolm Gladwell
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company (2008)
ISBN: 9780316017923

No comments:

Post a Comment